Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Southern Things I've Learned

Last week my computer broke and I still don't have it back, so I am making due using public computers at the library (yay! for public libraries) and borrowing computer time from Jason and my parents.

Until I get my computer back, I will add some quick posts.  Last week I started job training with the public library and have come into contact with lots of people from this area.  Some things I've learned:

  • GRIN = Girl Raised in the North
  • GRITS = Girl Raised in the South
  • Yankee = someone from the North
  • Damn Yankee = someone from the North who comes to the south and stays
  • Anyone who is offended by being called "honey," or "sweetheart" should not live in the South
Up until last week, most of the people I had chatted with or been friendly with here have been Jason's colleagues, who are Damn Yankees who moved to Virginia to teach at the university and, though delightful, have not given me the same introduction to Fredericksburg and Virginia that I have been getting working with locals at the library.  I'm not sure if I will ever feel completely at home here, but it sure is entertaining and enlightening!

No comments:

Post a Comment