Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trip to SLC: Day 4

Day 4 was Saturday, the day of the wedding. The ceremony started at 10:00 am, we had to be there at 9:00. When I woke Elise up that morning I said in an excited voice "Hey! Today is the wedding! You get to wear your pretty dress! Are you excited?!" She let out a big sigh and said "I guess." I started to get worried that she was going to be shy, or complain about doing her hair pretty. I was afraid for the answer, but I asked anyway"what's wrong?" She let out another big sigh and said "It's just so much work! Throwing those flowers." I couldn't help but laugh. I managed to get up her and her sister, and it was a little stressful getting them dressed and their hair done (Elise hates doing anything with her hair), but we made it.
Anja was supposed to walk in next to Elise, and in practice did just fine. With the ceremony, however, Anja balked. She clung to me in the hallway and would start to fuss and cry whenever I tried to get her to stand next to Elise. Nothing I said or did would get her off of me to walk in. I was panicking, then I finally realized it wasn't going to happen. I told Elise to just go. As Elise took her first step toward the center aisle Anja hopped down and walked in with her. Whew! She still had her pacifier, but at least she was in! Both girls stood beautifully during the ceremony.Elise always gets embarrassed when people kiss...
Immediately after the ceremony the photographer wanted to take the large group joint family photo. There are at least 30 people on the Roden side, and Aaron's bride also comes from a large family, so there must have been 60 people in this photo. Of course the photographer wanted it just right and worked to get everyone in the right spot. One of the first people he placed were the flower girls, right in front of the bride and groom. After quite a while of standing, waiting for the photographer to get all of us in the right spots, I looked over at Elise and she was crying, I could tell she just couldn't take all of it anymore. I walked over and scooped up her and Anja (there was no way Anja was going to stand there without her sister!). I walked over to an empty spot next to Jason's sister, asked a brother for a chair and plopped down with one girl on each knee. When the photographer came over to me I said "we are going to sit here." I got both girls calmed down while the photographer got the rest of the people situated. He started snapping pictures, then came over and yanked Anja's pacifier out of her mouth. I thought "oh, boy, here we go." But she didn't do anything, I think she was so surprised. After a few snaps of the camera, Elise turned her whole body into me, turning her back to the camera. What was I going to do? I whispered in her ear "I will give you money if you look at the camera." And lickety-split, she was the perfect model! After that picture Elise asked me if I would give her a dollar whenever she looked and the camera and I said "No, but if you don't look at the camera I will take that one away" and whenever I wanted Anja to take the pacifier out of her mouth for a picture I just had to say "if you don't, that man will come and take it." Oh, playing on greed and fear. All in the line of duty!
After pictures there was food!!The cake was a big hit...By afternoon both girls were getting a little worn out...


It was a beautiful ceremony and we all had a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment