Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Last Week of School

I have intended to post on this blog when something exciting happens, on that day.  HA!  Yeah, that is not happening.  There is too much going on!  I may have to change my goal to once a week.  I posted earlier in the week about Elise's class field trip.  Here is the excitement from the end of this week:

Elise

This week was the last week of school, and Elise finished 2nd grade.  Her class looped 1st and 2nd grade (the same students stayed with the same teacher for both years), so she knows these kids well and has a great experience with them.  We got to see her music class perform, they did such a great job!

You can see a video of Elise's class singing "Rockin Robin" here:  2nd Grade music.

To register for school in Virginia, incoming students need to have a pretty extensive health form filled out by a doctor, so Elise had an appointment at the doctor this week.  She was nervous she might need to get a shot, and I wasn't sure, so she was VERY relieved when her visit did not include any kind of needles (I was relieved, too).

Elise's Girl Scout troop had an end of the year celebration, where they were awarded some patches for their accomplishments, and then went swimming.  They had a great time and it was really fun to watch them play together.

Anja

The day of Elise's music program I kept Anja home so she could come with us.  She didn't know, but I had scheduled her pre-kindergarten physical for right after the music program.  I knew she would be getting shots, and I did not want her to figure that out too far in advance because I didn't want her to fret about it.  As we walked out to the car after the music program I told her we would now be going to a doctor appointment for her.  She asked why and I told her she needed one before she could go to Kindergarten.  We got in the car and started driving to the clinic.  About two minutes from the clinic Anja asked "will I get a shot?"  Crap, I was hoping to avoid talking about that.  "Probably," I said.  Silence for about one minute, then:  "What does 'probably' mean?"  Crap, crap, crap.  "Probably means I think so, but it will be up to the doctor and nurse."  She said nothing more.  Her appointment went really well, and she was very brave for the shots, no fussing or anything until the actual stab of the shot when she cried (poor thing).  Then we started talking about what treats she was going to get from the store because of her shots, and she quickly recovered.  She was a trooper.

Anja had Tae Kwon Do that same night, and because she had gotten the shots in her thigh, I wasn't sure she would feel like going and doing a bunch of running and kicking.  I also knew she would probably be doing her rank testing (missed the scheduled date because of a conflict with preschool graduation last week), and I just wasn't sure she would do very well because of the whole shot business.  But we went, and before I knew what was going on, Master Mike was putting her through her paces, she broke a board with her foot lickety split and BOOM!  she had her next belt!  I was so proud of her!


No comments:

Post a Comment