Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving we were very fortunate to be able to have Jason, his mom, us, and my mom and dad all around the same table.  This is the first time that has happened!  This is the first Thanksgiving we've shared with Jason and the first time his mom met my parents.

The day before Thanksgiving we did some advance prep of food. I baked cornbread for the stuffing, Elise and I made pumpkin pies, and I made a new recipe:  Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie.  At one point early in the day, Elise came in the kitchen and said "what are you doing?"  I told her I was making cornbread and pies.  She said "I thought it smelled like Thanksgiving in here!"
Elise LOVES pumpkin pie and was a great help
mixing up the pies for Thanksgiving.

We had a little too much pumpkin pie filling
and it wouldn't all fit in the pie shell,
so I baked the extra in little dishes...

which Elise promptly polished off. 
She ate all four of the mini pies. 
That girl LOVES pumpkin pie!
The Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie.
Baked and served in a cast iron skillet.
My dad said "this is the best pecan pie
I've ever had."  Of course, he is prejudiced,
but this pie was REALLY good.


The girls, Jason and I made most of the food (except the turkey), but we ate at mom and dad's because their place is bigger.  So, some of the food was made at our place and transported to mom and dad's, and some we made there. 
Mom and dad working on getting some food on the table.

The girls, particularly Anja, love going to grandma and grandpa's because they have Wii.  Anja was quite excited to introduce Jason's mom, Dolores, to Wii.


Thanksgiving dinner was delightful.  The food was plentiful and delicious, the company relaxed and entertaining.
Anja and Elise and the Thanksgiving feast.

Our pickle girl.  She had emptied the pickle dish before
Thanksgiving even started and we had to refill it before we
sat down to eat.  By the end of the meal she had eaten
a whole jar of pickles.  We aren't surprised, though, since
it is kind of a family tradition.  I used to do the same thing
when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment