Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A New Job!!



I have a job!  A real, full-time library job!  Since August I've been working at the Central Rappahannock Regional Library (CRRL), floating as an Adult Research substitute between five branch libraries.  Over that time I got a positive impression of the system, of both the way it is run and the people working in the system.  Everyone made me feel welcome and appreciated and I could see that the employees are very good at what they do.  In October I was trained to sub in the Youth Services department and started subbing in Youth Services at the beginning of November (again, floating between five branches).  About the time I started subbing in Youth Services, a position came open at the Salem Church branch for the Department Head of Youth Services.  I knew that my previous library experience in Minnesota made me perfect for this department head position, but I doubted that I would be hired because the folks at CRRL don't know me very well yet, having been there just three months and brand-new to the Youth Services department.  But I thought "what the heck, you never know until you try" and applied for the position.  I was called in for an interview (which went very well), and got the job!!!  I am super excited.  I will be supervising and managing all areas of the Youth Services Department at the Salem Church Library:  programming (story time, teen programs, summer reading program, and special events), research requests from children and teachers, and selecting books and other materials for children and teens.  This library is large and is the busiest library in the system.  The children's and juvenile section of the library is separated a bit from the rest of the library, so it is almost like a library within a library.  The teen section (which I will also supervise) is another separate section, with it's own selection of books, a lounge and teen "hang-out" space.  This is such an ideal job, I don't know how it could be any better!  Salem Church is the library that is closest to where I live, and my commute will be about 10 minutes; working with children, promoting education and early literacy is one of my passions and being able to have a job focusing on those areas is just perfect.  I will officially start in this position January 1 and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment