Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween

Elise as a vampire bat girl, Anja as a ninja.

Our first Halloween in Virginia.  This was the most pleasant Halloween I have ever experienced.  I spent most of my life in Minnesota and by October we usually had snow on the ground.  You know those lists of "You Know You Are From (enter state name here) If..."?  The Minnesota list says "you know you are from Minnesota if, as a kid,  you bought Halloween costumes one size too large so you could fit your snowsuit underneath."  That is the truth!  Many Halloweens as a child, it was so cold and snowy that I wore my snowsuit underneath my costume so I wouldn't freeze my tail off.  Tonight was a totally different experience.  It was 70 degrees out!  At 7:00 p.m.!  Elise wore her costume without any extra tights, leggings, or shirts underneath and she didn't get cold.  That is totally unheard of where I come from. I wore a jacket over my t-shirt and was hot by the time we got back. 

Most memorable experience from this Halloween:  man sitting at the end of his driveway handing out candy, who, when we departed, said "Happy Halloween, y'all."  Sometimes I forget I live in the south, and then things like that remind me that it is different here.   And that has been a pretty fun experience so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment