Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Lefse!


Where I come from, in northern Minnesota, Scandinavian traditions are part of the culture because there are so many people of Scandinavian heritage.  I don't know who figured it or how it was determined, but apparently my hometown, Thief River Falls, is the town in the U.S. with the largest number of people of Norwegian heritage.  People in and around Thief River are very proud of their Norwegian heritage, to the point that every year the town celebrates Norwegian Heritage Week around May 17, which is Syttende Mai (Norwegian Independence Day). I fit in quite well there, as one of my grandparents was 100% Norwegian.  Some people I know from Thief River continue to honor their heritage in many ways, by speaking the language, practicing some of the textile and craft arts, and producing some of the traditional foods.  I don't do much to honor my Norwegian heritage.  I only know two phrases in Norwegian:  "mange tak" ("thank you") and "velkommen" ("welcome"  I only know this phrase because of the signs people put up outside and inside their homes as decoration).  I don't do hardanger or eat lutefisk (if you aren't from Minnesota, you may have to google those :) ).  BUT, I have become a lefse maker! (Lefse is a flatbread made from cooked potatoes, flour, butter and cream.  Picture a tortilla.) 
Elise prepares to eat a piece of lefse, putting on
butter (and then sprinkling it with sugar).
Anja enjoys a piece of lefse, rolled-up and ready to eat!


A few years ago I decided I would like to carry on the tradition of lefse-making and have been practicing since then.  I only practice about once a year, so my expertise is progressing slowly.  My lefse is definitely tasty, but it is not pretty, so I don't let anyone outside my immediate family have any.  My grandma made lefse, but my mom never learned (so she says, but she grew up helping my grandma and can do every part of the process, so I'm not sure I believe her) so I asked my cousin for some tips, did a workshop on lefse-making (at the library!), and have asked several people what they do. 

Since they've been old enough, the girls have helped in the lefse-making.  Now that they are 8 and 6, they are able to do quite a bit.

In my family, the time before Thanksgiving is usually when lefse is made, so there will be some to serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.  We didn't get it done before Thanksgiving, so decided to do it before Christmas. 


Elise took a turn with the rolling pin and did a
great job!
She was so excited, Anja did a lefse dance.

Anja takes a turn with the rolling pin. 
These girls did a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment