Saturday, December 20, 2014

Horse Girls

I have loved horses and riding my whole life.  When I was young, my dad was a cowboy and until I was 6 we lived on cattle ranches, so horses were around quite a lot, and I was up on them from an early age.    


Me, 2 years old
After we moved into town I wasn't around them as much, only when we visited friends or family who had horses, then I would beg to ride and hope they would let me.

When I was about 10, mom and dad bought me my own horse and I was in heaven!!  I think I rode almost every day (especially in the summer).  When I went to college my riding days ended for the most part, with just a few times in the saddle here and there over the next several years. 

 A couple years ago, a friend of mine in Thief River who had horses offered to give Elise riding lessons, so for a few weeks that year we all rode; Elise with our friend, getting some direct instruction, and me riding double with Anja, just having fun.
Elise in Minnesota, 2012

Me and Anja in Minnesota, 2012
Here in Virginia last year, the girls rode one day with Girl Scouts, and did a week of horse camp at a local stable where they got to ride every day.  They were really interested in taking lessons, and at the end of October they started with an instructor.  Elise has been going great guns;  Anja has been on a few times, but at this point is more interested in just petting and feeding the horses than riding.  She goes out every week, but we always tell her she doesn't have to ride unless she wants to.  She's been on about three times at this point.  


Elise was NOT excited about riding English at first (I haven't met a person here yet who rides Western), but as she does it more and learns more, she has become more comfortable and is progressing nicely!  One great benefit of the climate here is that the girls have been riding every week, even into December!  The coldest it has been on riding days is in the 40s, and we just bundle up.




No comments:

Post a Comment