Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Darcie's Birthday

Last year I passed a significant birthday.  I was going to say I celebrated a significant birthday, but "celebrated" doesn't capture my feelings last year, "passed" does.  I just wanted to get past last year's birthday without recognizing it at all.  For several years, my birthday has not been something I look forward to, and last year I was down-right dreading it.  The fact that I was turning a number ending in 0 was a major factor.  Once past that birthday, for the next year, I didn't think of myself as 40, but as 39.  On the treadmill I use, I enter my weight and age before I begin my workout.  For the past two years, I've been entering 39 for my age.  I know, logically, that age is just a number, but my heart didn't like last year's number.

As this year's birthday approached, I again experienced dread at the approaching date.  Then I decided that my feelings had everything to do with my attitude and there was nothing else to blame.  If I changed my attitude, I could re-gain the joyful anticipation of birthdays I used to have.  So I decided to just get over it, be excited, and this year I had one of the best birthdays in recent memory.

I worked the day before my birthday, and while I was out, Jason and the girls made me a cake.




After work, Jason and I had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Fredericksburg, Kybecca.  The next day, on my birthday, I got to sleep in then read a book on the couch (gasp!) because the girls had spent the night at mom and dad's (thank you!).  I had a massage downtown, then Jason and I had brunch at another of my favorite restaurants, Foode.  After that we had a little fun in the photo booth...


then headed to mom and dad's for cake and some celebrating.
The girls sing "Happy Birthday" to me.


Gifts galore!  A soft and cuddly blanket from Anja...

beautiful flowers from Elise...



Surprise!  Earrings made by my friend, Dawn,
given by Jason.  I had seen these on Dawn's
website and they magically appeared on
my birthday.

An awesome scarf from Jason's mom, printed
with text from Pride and Prejudice.  So cool!


Beads for my bracelet from mom and dad.

Let the era of happy Happy Birthdays begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment