Saturday, August 23, 2014

You Know You Are in the South When...

Breakfast is Chicken and Waffles

For quite some time, Jason has been raving about this delicacy he experienced in Virginia called Chicken and Waffles.  At first I was confused.  It's a waffle with a side of chicken?  No.  When he told me what it was, I:

1.  Could not believe this man who is smart and who I am crazy about would enjoy such a food.

and

2.  Could not believe anyone would enjoy such a food.

What is this, you ask?  It is a large piece of boneless fried chicken, laid on top of a waffle, then drizzled with maple syrup.  You don't eat the chicken and waffle separate, you cut through the chicken and waffle at the same time and eat it all together in one bite.  GROSS.

When Jason and I went for breakfast this morning at one of our favorite Fredericksburg restaurants, Foode, and he saw Chicken and Waffle on the menu, he did not have to look any further.  I rolled my eyes and turned up my nose at his redneck taste, but promised to try a bite.  Oh.  Man.  I had to eat my words and apologize.  It is delicious!  Others may be able to explain what it is about the fried coating, the chicken, the waffle and syrup that makes it so delightful to the tastebuds, but all I known is that it made me close my eyes and sigh.  I don't know that I could eat more than a couple of bites before my arteries seized up, but the flavor is delicious!

I probably should have known it would be a tasty meal, since Foode has it on the menu. Foode is known for creativity and quality in their menu items.  And it's not just the people of Fredericksburg who appreciate this restaurant, this fall, their chef is going to be on Bravo's "Top Chef".  Foode's interpretation of chicken and waffle includes buttermilk fried chicken and honey butter spread on the waffle.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat Chicken and Waffles, I recommend it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment